6th Jan, 2021Dear Parent/Carer,
Following the announcement of Welsh Government confirming that schools will be closed to the majority of pupils until at least January 18th, 2021, and further to the information sent to you regarding the continuity of learning on Monday, please find further details below.
Remote Live Google Lessons and Learning
· These will begin to be rolled out from Wednesday January 6th, 2021 and into next week;
· Cowbridge pupils working from home should follow their normal daily timetable. All lessons will take place at the same time as they would ordinarily at school. Break and lunch times will mirror the normal school day. This will allow an appropriate learning routine to be maintained, allow for appropriate breaks from the screen and engage in appropriate physical activity. For Years 7 - 11 this will take the form of 5 periods during each day. Sixth form students will have fewer timetabled lessons each day but should use the additional time to complete relevant work, conduct research, read and consolidate learning and understanding. This also applies to GCSE pupils as part of independent learning and preparation for next steps in learning. A reminder of the timetable of the school day is included below;
· Pupils working from home will be able to access work for each lesson through Google Classroom. During each timetabled lesson, subject teachers will be available online in school for the duration of the lesson. During this time, teachers will be able to offer help, instruction, guidance, clarification and feedback related to the work. They will be available visually and interactively via Google Meet for those pupils who wish to join interactively. Lessons will be structured in a similar way to in school and teachers will make the link available to join the lesson;
· Timetabled lessons could include, but will not be restricted to, structured tasks; self-directed learning experiences; research tasks; examination question completion; reading tasks; accurate note taking tasks; essay completion; using video extracts to enhance learning; or, using recordings of teachers delivering video extracts/voice overs, to motivate and engage learners, teachers available live for interactive question and answer sessions;
· Paper based work which is completed and where the teacher has indicated that this requires marking and feedback, will need to be completed and returned to school;
· Pupils can use the private comments section under each assignment;
· Pupils can also email teachers directly (using only their school email address) if there is any problem communicating using Google Classroom;
· Teachers will provide enough time to complete most work during each lesson, with the possible exception of homework to consolidate learning;
· Lessons online will start and end promptly. Pupils may have some homework to complete at the end of the day, consistent with usual homework demands;
· Learning resources will remain in Google Classroom for pupils to access following the lesson, for those who are unable to follow the timetable due to home circumstances, however, teachers will not be available after school hours and will be online with other classes, outside of the scheduled lesson;
· We understand that there may be technical obstacles preventing engagement with online learning. If you are aware of such obstacles, please contact the school to let us know.
As we have well over 100 pupils in school as part of provision for critical care workers, disadvantaged children, ALN pupils and vulnerable pupils, teachers will also be accommodating those in their normal timetables lesson. Complimentary break and lunch will be provided to all pupils in the canteen as per their normal break and lunch times with effect from Wednesday January 6th and until at least the end of next week (January 15th, 2021)
· The formality of all Google meetings must be maintained, just as would happen in a classroom;
· It is expected that school rules on behaviour etc. will apply to virtual meetings;
· The usual safeguarding rules and procedures will apply;
· A record will be taken of who joins the "Google meet";
· Conversations will only be conducted through Google Meet, through Google Classroom;
· Pupils must be in appropriate day wear and in an appropriate room with a suitable back-drop;
· For some subjects and pupils, we will provide supplementary paper resources. The resources will then be copied and posted home;
· Further detail of when the Leaders of Achievement are available for real time pastoral support will follow shortly.
08:30 - 08:45 - arrival of 120 (approximately) pupils of Critical care workers etc.
08:45 - 09:10 Registration - Teachers formal start time
09:10 - 10:10 Lesson 1
10:10 - 11 :30 Lesson 2
· 10:10 - 10:30 Y7 & 12 break
· 10:40 - 11:00 Y8 & 9 break
· 11:10 - 11:30 Y10, 11 & 13 break
11:30 - 12:30 Lesson 3
12:30 - 14:00 Lesson 4
· 12:30 - 13:00 Y7 & 12 lunch
· 13:00 - 13:30 Y8 & 9 lunch
· 13:30 - 14:00 Y10, 11 & 13 lunch
14:00 - 15:00 Lesson 5
Mrs Thomas and the Senior Leadership Team.