First game of the season = first win of the season!!

The Year 10 rugby team played a home match against Stanwell today.With it being the first game of the season, both teams were determined to get off to a winning start.

Both team were a little ring rusty, but settled down after the first 5 minutes.After an excellent turn over from Ben Jones, Reuben Williams cut through the defence and offloaded the ball to Mike Bosley to advance up the field.A small gap had opened on the wing, which only a few players in the Vale of Glamorgan would have been quick enough to go down, but luckily for Cowbridge George Cuddihy was up to the task.He took the ball from Michael Bosley, and burst down the wing to score the first try of the game.The try was converted by Ioan Williams, who later went on to kick two more.

The next try came about through some superb passing skills from the back line.The ball was passed through each pair of the backs hands, where it finally made it way to Sam Green who sprinted in for the second try of the match. The third try came just after the second, with Jack Dixon using his power and pace to great effect, and stroll in for a try.

The second half was fast approaching, but this was not before Cowbridge snuck in for another try.Again, Sam Green keen to get his hands on the ball out paced the Stanwell defence to make the score 24 – 0 at half-time.

The Stanwell side were not out yet, and with their strong centres crashing into the defence and always making yards, they continued to seek a try of their own.They did not have to wait long, when their wing ran down the line to score in the corner for a well-deserved try.

The deficit was increased back to 24 points not long after, when Reuben Williams battered his way through a number of tackles, to score an outstanding individual try. Logan Roach used this as inspiration, and when he collect the ball under his own sticks, he only had one thing on his mind! With his twinkle toes working overtime, Logan danced his way around 4 or 5 defenders and made his journey to the other end of the field and dived into the corner to score the ‘Try of the Match’. The game was at a standstill for around 10 minutes, with neither attack being able to cause significant damage. This is where leaders are needed and Reuben Williams answered the call.To round off the game in style, Reuben scored a quick fire hat-trick to take his tally to four tries.

The game finished 51-5 in favour of Cowbridge, but a big well done has to go to Stanwell for their continued determination and excellent attitude throughout the game.

Well done Year 10, keep on attending training and working hard, as games will be coming thick and fast and we need to put the building blocks in place for next year’s Welsh Cup!

A huge congratulations has to go out to Corley Doster and Jean Lou Picot for playing their first ever game of rugby for the school!!!!!